This weekend's Match Reports 1/9/2019   01/09/2019

Donegal Junior League



Sunday 1stSeptember 2019

Brian Mc Cormick Cup Area Shields Semi-Finals 

Lifford Area

Kildrum Tigers 3 v 1 Castlefin Celtic

After a scoreless first half Damien Crossan gave Kildrum the lead from a Ryan Higgins pinpoint assist and Crossan tapped home. Celtic didn’t take long to level things up, Ronan Tourish with a brilliant effort and, after Lynch couldn’t hold, Shane Gallagher made no mistake from close range. Substitute Gary Crossan smashed Kildrum back in front with his effort from the edge of the box, before Mc Hugh sealed Kildrum’s win in the final minutes.

Lifford Celtic 3 v 4 Raphoe Town

(No Report Submitted)

Gweedore Area

Glenea United 3 v 2 Keadue Rovers

Glenea came out on top in this exciting local derby, by the odd goal. Glenea opened the scoring in the 5th minute when a well worked move between Shaun Curran and Ryan Tannahill ended up finding Ciaran Mc Geady who slot home from 10 yards. Within three minutes the score was level, Keadue floated a 30-yard free onto the head of Greene who beat the keeper from the edge of the 6-yard box. Glenea came close to getting their second in the 25th minute when Sean Coll found Sean Mc Bride free at the back post, but his shot shaved the post. Mc Bride came close again in the final minute of the 1st half but his shot was well saved by Danny Rodgers in the Keadue goal. Rodgers was called into action again early in the 2nd half when Tannahill found Mc Geady and his shot from 4 yards was tipped over by the Keadue keeper. In the 53rd minute Keadue took the lead, Shaun Boyle picked up a loose ball and let fly from 30 yards. Ten minutes later it was all level again when Luke Mc Carry crossed for Darren Doogan to head home. In the 70th minute Glenea had a great chance to take the lead when Darragh Breen ran at the Keadue defence and slipped it through to Mc Bride but his shot missed the target. The game looked destined for extra time until Ryan Tannahill created space on the wing and managed to find Mc Bride who calmly slotted home to give Glenea the win. Both teams produced good performances.

Kilmacrennan Celtic 2 v 0 Gweedore United

Kilmacrennan proved too strong for a hard-working Gweedore United outfit to advance to the area final of the Brian Mc Cormick Cup. From the start Kilmacrennan dominated possession but found it hard to break down a resolute Gweedore side, the breakthrough finally came in 30th minute when Enda Mc Cormack played a great through ball to Mark Friel, who missed his one on one after some excellent goalkeeping, the ball however fell to veteran Michael Mc Laughlin who slotted home from five yards. Indeed, it wasn’t Friel’s only miss as he somehow blasted over from two yards with the goal at his mercy moments later. Gweedore did have a chance to level the score after some poor Kilmacrennan defending but Shane Graham was equal to Ciaran Mc Fadden’s shot. Kilmacrennan should have doubled their lead before half time when Enda Mc Cormack missed his penalty after Ryan Shields was fouled in the area. Kilmacrennan doubled their lead mid-way through the second half when Michael Mc Laughlin got his second, a great cross from Terence Shiels was met by Mc Laughlin who once again showed his obvious threat in the air with a bullet header into the top corner.

Michael McLaughlin was best for Kilmacrennan with his pace and physical power proving a real handful, team performance by a hard-working Gweedore side. Referee: Mick Lagan

Donegal Area

Donegal Town 0 v 1 Ballybofey United

This game was played in excellent conditions at the hospital field Donegal Town. Both teams started brightly but Donegal Town were dealt a serious blow with Stephen Graham receiving his marching orders from referee Gourley after only 13 minutes. Both teams created good chances throughout the 90 minutes with both Glackin from Ballybofey and Stitt from Donegal Town squandering good chances. Ballybofey took the lead through Jude Patton on the stroke of half time in the first half of extra time following indecision in the Town defence. Donegal to their credit battled gamely but Ballybofey qualified for the Area Final where they will meet Cappry Rovers. Good team performances from both teams.

St. Catherines 1 v 5 Cappry Rovers

There was little to separate the teams in the first half hour with chances at both ends.Cappry grew stronger and stronger as time progressed and Paddy Mc Nulty was awarded for his hard work and opened the scoring on 35 minutes.The flood gates opened then as Cappry showed their experience. Two more goals from Mc Nulty gave him his hat-trick.Two further goals for Cappry came from Jamie Murray and Aaron Kelly which gave the visitors five in total.A very young home team plugged away and were rewarded with a consolation goal through Andrew Mc Morrow.Best for the home side was Niall Campbell and shining brightly for the visitors was Paddy Mc Nulty.

Letterkenny Area

Bonagee United 2 v 0 Drumoghill F.C.

Aiden Mc Laughlin for the home side came close on four minutes when he headed over from a Drew Connelly cross. Glen Gallagher saw his header on eight minutes, from twelve yards, well saved by Toner in visitor’s goal. The home side took the lead on sixteen minutes when Aaron Wasson broke down the right and he played the ball through to Daniel Stolarczyk and he hammered home from the edge of the box. Jason Doherty, for the visitors, saw his shot on twenty-two minutes go just over the bar from twelve yards. Four minutes later Charles Rodgers saw his header go wide of the Bonagee goal. Aiden Mc Laughlin for Bonagee then shot wide from the edge of the box from an Aaron Wasson cross on twenty-eight minutes. The home side made it two nil on thirty-five minutes when Aaron Wasson broke clear of the defence and he was brought down outside the box by the keeper who was shown a red card. Richie Moore went into goal but Daniel Stolarczyk fired home from twenty-five yards. Carr in the home goal made a good save from ten yards from Doherty on forty-eight minutes. Wasson for Bonagee saw his shot from twenty yards go over on the hour. Jason Doherty again saw his effort on sixty-five minutes well saved by Carr in the home goal. Aiden Mc Laughlin for the home side on seventy-five minutes came close when he turned the defender on the penalty spot but his strike came off the bar. Drumoghill dominated the last fifteen minutes and Carr in the home .goal made three great saves from Ronnie Carlin and two from Jason Doherty to secure the win. Team efforts by both sides with John Carr man of the match. Referee: Paddy Duffy.

Whitestrand United 6 v 1 Lagan Harps

Whitestrand United took on Lagan Harps in the Brian McCormick Cup at Mc Garvey Park. Whitestrand started well and had much of the early possession. The first goal came when Darren Ferry turned on a loose ball on the edge of the box and calmly slotted home. They doubled their lead mid-way through the first half when Liam O’Riordan crossed and Aaron Curran converted. Whitestrand went in at half time two up. Whitestrand extended their lead early into the second half when Aaron Curran continued his superb early season form and slotted the ball into the bottom corner. Whitestrand scored again when Ronan Morris converted a great ball across the box. Kevin Loughrey got in on the act when he was put through and he placed it past the outrushing keeper. Lagan got a consolation goal when they scored a free kick but Whitestrand scored their sixth and final goal when Mark Peoples took his goal very well and took the ball on the edge of the area and placed the ball in at the near post.

Monday 26th August 2019

Brian Mc Cormick Cup – Area Shields K.O. 8 p.m.

Lifford Area 

Raphoe Town 1 v 1 Convoy Arsenal

(Raphoe Town won on penalties)

This local derby was reversed to convoy and played under the lights in Orchard Park. Watched by a very large crowd, Convoy nearly took the lead after 15 minutes but Sean Friel made a great save. Friel made another great save ten minutes later. Raphoe had some good chances too but both keepers were in top form. Raphoe took the lead halfway through the second half, Dylan Brolly scoring after some good work from Corey McBride Gillen. Convoy levelled with ten minutes left, JP Malley heading home at the back post. Both teams had chances to win it in extra time but the game ended a draw. Raphoe eventually won the penalty shoot-out 4-2. Great performances from both teams. Best for Raphoe was Corey Brolly. Referee: Barry hunter.